In 1883, a group of fifteen leading citizens in Los Angeles gathered to discuss the formation of a historical society on November 1.The society holds it first official meeting in the old Temple Block, at the corner of Main and Market streets. It begins publishing scholarly papers and collecting manuscripts, books, and artifacts. The Historical Society of Southern California Annual is first published in 1884.The Historical Society of Southern California officially incorporated on February 13, 1891. In the 1920s, the society develops a program of locating historical sites and marking them with plaques. In 1935, the publication of an annual becomes the publication of a quarterly publication, which is renamed the Southern California Quarterly in 1962. That year the society begins publishing a regular newsletter. To celebrate its 100th anniversary, the city of Los Angeles declares November 4, 1983, “Historical Society of Southern California Day.” Between 1965 and January 2015, the society was headquartered at El Alisal, the Charles Lummis Home and Gardens. Today, the Historical Society of Southern California holds annual events, publishes a newsletter, the Southern California Quarterly, and recognizes the work of scholars and volunteers through organizational awards.